Friday, February 25, 2011

Not Gambian Enough?

What's the definition of a pure Gambian?
Yow toubab nga = You are a toubab. I've heard this my entire life. What is toubab? Glad you asked. Lets look at the definitions of this word that I have a love/hate relationship with.

In the Gambia, West Africa, locals have a nickname for foreigners; they call them "Tubabs," a term derived from "two bob," the standard fee British colonialists used to pay Gambians for odd jobs.

From Wikipedia:
"Toubab" is a Central and West African name for a person of European descent ("whites"). Used most frequently in the GambiaSenegal, and Mali, the term does not have derogatory connotations by itself, though it is also frequently associated with "wealthy traveller" (if one can afford to travel, then he/she must be rich). The word can also be applied to any perceived traveller - even those of black African descent with an identifiably different phenotype such as (whiter) Cape Verdeans and (blacker)Nigerians, up to foreign-raised locals (thus with a different accent) or a visiting expatriate.

I feel all kinds of ways about both definitions. When I'm in the Gambia, they call me toubab. I can to a certain degree understand that....kinda. I mean, here we come with our kronas (currency of Norway) and just balling out of control. Or at least that's how it appears for the common Gambian (I aint gonna lie, too many some Gambians really ball out of control when visiting the motherland from abroad. More on that fuckery coming soon). So if by toubab they mean "wealthy traveller", I can sort of understand. 100NOK = about 400GMD (Gambian Dalasi). When the average paycheck in Norway lies around 28.000NOK, you can do the math. I get the money part.

What I don't get is Gambians IN Norway calling me toubab. Is it because I was raised here? Or is it because we live in a big-a** house instead of an apartment, like many Gambians here? Or because we speak 50/50 Norwegian and Wolof at home? Or because BossPapa watches skiing on tv? Or because I couldn't care less about gold and clothing material? What the f**k is it? Inquiring minds want to know. It's kinda like in America when Black folks who speak proper English, or grew up in the surburbs, or just generally act non-hood, there're "acting white". See, there's this great divide between Gambians who came here as an adult and those who grew up here. We Most of us just have different outlooks on life. We're....different. But does that make me less Gambian? My Gambian ex used to say that I wasn't Gambian enough, but he didn't have answers to how I was less Gambian.


Growing up, it bothered me a whole lot when I was called toubab. It was hard growing up in a predominantly white country. It was hard enough being the only black kid whereever I went. No matter how much I tried to fit in, I was always the odd one. It's a little like bi-racial kids, you're not really accepted in either groups. I was too black to be considered Norwegian (obviously) and my own people didn't find me Gambian enough. Now I.DON'T.GIVE.A.FLYIN.F**K! I refuse to let anyone define me. I'm not Norwegian-Gambian or any other hyphenated Norwegian. Yes,my citizenship is Norwegian, however my ethnic ties are with Gambia. I call myself a Gambian, because with Gambians I share a common language, common heritage, and common roots. I know who I am. Do you who you are?

~I'm the Boss Lady~

No comments:

Post a Comment