Friday, February 18, 2011

Happy 46th Independence Anniversary!!!

It's been 46 years since The Gambia got independent from the United Kingdom and joined the Commonwealth. I'm not even gonna say anything about the fact that our so-called president completely disregards our independence day. Today I'll pay tridbute to the Smiling Coast of Africa. I love-love being a Gambian and I'm proud of my roots. It doesn't matter that I've spent the majority of my life in cold-*ss Norway (a post on this ridiculously cold climate coming soon). Gambia, a.k.a Jollof is the smallest country on mainland Africa, but what we lack in size we make up for in soooo many other ways.

Gambians take chillaxing to whole 'nother level. Don't believe me? Get some Gambian friends if you aint got any, or just hang around Gambians. You know that GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) is jokingly referred to as Gambian Maybe Time. Time is a very relative concept for Gambians. I swear, we aint NEVER on time for anything! EVER! True story: I once went to wedding party that was supposed to start 10-ish pm, I got there around 11:30 pm. Do you know when the bride and groom entered the hall? I'm not making this up y'all! - at 03:17!! Yes, that's a.m. By that time my dad, a.k.a BossPapa, had already dozed off with a snack plate in his hand. LOL! We left the party around 05:00 and the party wasn't even close to over.


Speaking of parties, we'll find ANY excuse to throw one. And when we do, we do it real big. I think it's some kind of size complex we suffer from. Since the country is so small, we have to do everything big to compensate. And we're so damn LOUD!! Maaaaan, and my BossMama is the loudest of them all. I'm pretty sure a concorde engine aint got sh!t on her. And you aint lived if you've never eaten Benachin, a.k.a Jollof Rice. We love food. We live for food. We have GREAT food. You wanna get a taste of food heaven, come to our house. BossMama's cooking game is on point! 
I love the warmth and hospitality of our people. I love how everything we do is so grand. The colors in our outfits and the richness of our cultur. All this is to say that I'm proud to be a Gambian. Happy Independence, fellow Gambians! May the Almighty keep guiding and protecting us.



"For The Gambia, our homeland, 

We strive and work and pray,
That all may live in unity,
Freedom and peace each day.
Let justice guide our actions
Towards the common good,
And join our diverse peoples
To prove man's brotherhood. 
We pledge our firm allegiance,
Our promise we renew;
Keep us, great God of nations,
To The Gambia ever true."


~I'm the Boss Lady~

No comments:

Post a Comment