Saturday, June 25, 2011

The Gambian Cultural Week: A Catwalk For Walking Fashion Disasters!

Photo: ethicalgambia.com
Any Gambian living in Scandinavia knows what July in Oslo means. Yuuuuup, THE GAMBIAN CULTURAL WEEK!! This year is even extra special as the Cultural Week is celebrating it's 25th anniversary. Brace yourselves, coz it's about to go down!!! LOL I simply can't wait for the dvds to come out so I can get a good laugh. Watching the cultural week is pure comedy, lemme tell ya. And it gets worse every year. Just when I think I've seen the worst fashion disasters, someone always manages to top the previous year's fragganacle and take it all the way out.

The thing is, I used to love the annual cultural week. It's literally a whole week with parties and gatherings with my people, it was supa fun. I think it stopped being fun for me about 5-6 years ago when it turned into a week long fashion parade. Why the fvck are we tryna compete with each other? I don't get it....Now it has become a see-and-be-seen event, where especially the women go all out with the outfits. It's all about the outfits now, designer dresses and purses and all the bling-bling that would make a Snoop Dogg video look boring. But the cherry on top, the crème de la crème is the make-up and hair dos. LOL I'm even chuckling while typing this. I done seen pictures that would highly qualify for www.youknowyoudeadazzwrong.com, or better yet www.hotghettomess.com. 


There's too much rachet fvckery going on, besides the fashion disasters parading around. This is the time for the "playas" to prey on the young girls. And when I say girls...I mean little girls. 17-18 year old kids thinking they're grown. And these men, and I use that term very loosely, have no shame in their game. See, these so-called playas chase younger and younger girls, I guess cuz they realize that older women know they're losers so instead they'll rap some foolish game to the youngins. And why the hell are the parties filled with these little girls anyway? I went to the youth parties up until I was 20-21, while the youth parties these days consists of babies down to 11! Times sure have changed.....but I digress.


Back to the ratchedness. LOL this is NOT how it's done, my sistas.
Exhibit A:
Your eyebrows are supposed to look NATURAL! That means either black or brown, not red or purple. It looks crazy and ridicules, please stop it!  





Exhibit B:
*sigh* I love make-up, I really do. And I like experimenting with colors too. However, I like my make-up to enhance my features, not look like the rainbow exploded on my face. You don't have to use ALL the colors on your palette at the same time or match each and every color in your outfit. I know we love colorful and shiny shyt, but damn!


And third, but definitely not least, the hair. I aint even gonna get into the fvcked up skin bleaching coz that's a whole 'nother post on its own. Ladies: purple, red, orange or fire-engine red are NOT appropriate highlight colors for the wig/weave, especially if you're over the age of 15. STOP IT! And your hair color is definitely not supposed to match your outfit. No lie, last year there was a lady with purple in her hair to match her purple dress, purple purse, and shoes. LOL I understand color coordinating, but that shyt is not what's hot in the streets.

For this year's 25th anniversary I know the fashionistas and label hoes are gonna take it all out. There's nothing wrong with designer clothes if you can afford it, but the sad thing is many of these label h*es are living waaay beyond their means. Why are you tryna stunt on me when errybody knows that your boyfriend/husband is a drug dealer? So your money is supposed to impress me? Girl, sit yo azz down cuz I aint impressed at all. You can always tell the ones who try too damn hard, they're always trying to outshine the elegant and classy ladies. Yup, can't wait to watch this entertainment.

~I'm the Boss Lady~

1 comment:

  1. Lol right u are. I'm glad the cultural week was never my thing, and it gets worse every year

    ReplyDelete